Jaxon's Musings On Work, Hobbies, Family and Life

Friday, September 22, 2006

The Ball is rolling...

Ok, I've been hemming and hawing over a new lens. This time it's gonna be Painful expensive so I wanted to make sure that I get the right one.

I already own a 17-85mm for general shooting of the family,etc
I also own a 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 IS USM for sports in good light, animals in good light etc.

I want 2 things in a new lens:
more Reach (Sometimes the 300mm is not enough for small birds further then 20-30ft)
Work in low light (I need something for low light football games under the lights, etc)

So, here is the first thing I found:
Sigma 100-300mm F2.8
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=104&sort=7&cat=37&page=1

The F2.8 will let enough light in for low light shooting BUT, I still am only at 300mm on the far end....Still no gain in reach so Am only killing One of my two birds with a $2000 stone.....OUCH.

So, I decided to look at 2 seperate "Fixed" lenses (No Zoom) and actually found a BETTER solution for LESS Money...

Canon 200mm F2.8 L
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=37&sort=7&cat=2&page=2

This I'll use for sports shooting under the lights, etc. This is a very popular "L" Lens used by pro sports photographers and can be had for about $600

Canon 400mm F5.6L
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=42&sort=7&cat=2&page=2


The famous 400mm F5.6 is probably the best known and most widely used wildlife lens. Again, an "L" Lens used by professional wildlife photographers. I Get 400mm reach and the now FAMOUS "Tack Sharp" quality of this lens. this lens is heralded as one of the Sharpest lenses that canon makes......and only $1000. Not free by any means but WAY cheaper than many of the lenses out there.

SO,....I get two Professional "L" Canon lenses (Cannot be beat) for LESS then what I would have paid for the Sigma (Not a bad lens, but it AINT a Canon "L" Lens), and I kill 2 birds with my stone.....Not too shabby.

It pays to research and price shop for sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home